Friday 10 September 2010

Becky Lawrence - About My Work

My work explores a specific memory of my past. My grandmother was a very practical woman, and as a child, instead of toys, she gave me her collection of recycled buttons to play with. I have felt subsequently that she sealed my fate as a textile designer, as these memories have been a recurring theme in my work throughout my degree and ever since. On her death I re-acquired this collection and have continued to work with the buttons, recreating the entire collection using silicone moulds and resin. The pieces displayed in this exhibition are work in progress and a step away from my more commercial collection, the intention being the creation of my own archive responding to my grandmother, my memories and textile heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment